Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 2 in Chicago

Yesterday, was forecast to be raining so we headed to Millennium Park to try and see it before the rain came down. We got as far as stepping onto the park area before the rain showed itself. This was ok because it was on and off so we were still able to move around and take photos. The best part of Millennium Park is Cloud Gate, more affectionately known as 'The Bean'. This is an awesome sculpture and you can get some very cool photos.

Me at the Bean

After wandering around the park we caught the train to Wrigley Field. Obviously we only visited this because it is famous, not because it means anything to us (plus it was only 2 stops away from our hostel so it's not like we went out of our to find it)! Outside the field, fans can buy a brick and have messages written on them and then they are paved around the stadium. Most either say someones name or 'Go Cubs! This is our year!' but some have slightly more endearing things like what looked like a school class had dedicated one to a teacher.


We dropped by our hostel to put some warmer clothes on because it was only 12 degrees, which neither of us remember being THIS cold, and also quite windy. We did this because or next stop was the Lincoln park Zoo, which is free. here the highlights for us were the beavers and the flamingos! We also saw a lot of the usual animals such as monkeys, rhino's and a tiger but also a black bear! Unfortunately by now the forecasted rain has completely set in and it is bucketing down. We are limited to dashing to and from different animals with our umbrellas but this didn't really work so well so we had to take refuge in the monkey house. My canvas shoes had no hope and my feet are now swimming in water (Seh does this ring any bells from our Europe trip?!).


Anyway we decided to give up as we were frozen, wet, and the wind was chilling, plus half the animals were hidden away due to the weather. The most ridiculous thing is we could have seen polar bears but they were hiding because of the rain (they live in arctic weather! could they not have survived Chicago weather?). Walking back to the hostel, we ducked into Caribou Coffee and grabbed some much needed hot chocolates. By now my jeans are soaked right up to the knees. Back at the hostel, and in dry clothes, the rain disappeared and the sun came out! Just our luck. I am reduced to using my hairdryer to try and dry my shoes and my jeans (again Seh, ring any bells?).

For dinner, we left the hostel, not thinking we would need an umbrella since the rain had stopped, and 10 seconds down the street the rain starts again! sS without our umbrellas we have no choice but to run to the end of the street to try and find shelter (and get closer to dinner). This time my feet are fine having put my boots on since my other shoes are still wet, but Christie now has drenched feet! The upside, we made it back to the pasta place I love.

All that news about the rain was prolly all very boring. Sorry :)

2 comments:

  1. Hehe yes I remember. I would tell you that you should have brought better footwear, but then I'd by hypocritical =) None of my shoes are water proof. I'm going to need to buy some "real" shoes next year seeing as I'm going to live in the land of rain!

    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photos honey! You are really making me think hard about what clothes and shoes to bring!

    ReplyDelete