Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 1: Long Time, No See

Thursday night marked the end of a year and a half wait to see my oldest friend. For those of you who weren't playing along when I started this for my America trip, this is my online travel diary. It may seem alot of effort to you for me to blog everyday that I am away. To be honest, sometimes it is. But it also means I have a record of everything I do and is a convenient way for me to tell everyone what I am up to rather than individual messages.

So Thursday night (Aussie time) I set off on an 11.5hr flight to Doha. Because the aeroplane fairies love me, I got three seats all to myself so I could lie down for most of the flight. I didn't get much sleep because I struggle with sleeping on planes, but it was nice to be able to stretch out. I arrived in Doha around 5am just in time for sunrise. I hadn't been to Doha Airport before. I didn't think to take any photos (I blame it on the jetlag) but the skyline was really interesting, although smoggy/dusty, with lots of tall, strangly shaped buildings. When you disembark, they shuttle you to a terminal on buses so we got quite a long tour of the airport grounds; lots of barbed wire and limestone is what stood out.

Sunrise at Doha

After a 3 hour wait, I boarded my six hour flight to Brussels, with an empty seat next to me. This went quite quickly and before I knew it we were at Brussels Airport. Walking off the plane before heading into the airport, I remembered why I love Europe so much. Fresh, freezing cold air greeted me briefly before being ushered into the airport. I had a massive grin and was almost giggling to myself. Man I love winter. There was a mini altercation when I was waiting in the passport line, in which an argument broke out between Airport police and someone in the middle of the line. It slowed the customs process a little bit and had me slightly concerned since the whole argument was in Dutch or French, but, half an hour after landing I walked through arrivals to see Niels and a slightly teary Sarah, who I havent seen since July 2011.

Driving 'home' from the airport, I got to see lots of greenery and autumn leaves (my favourite). The towns here are so cute and I can't wait to go and explore around. Awaiting my arrival at their home in Lokeren, was a 'Welkom Jess' cake! 

 My welcome cake :)

We made a trip to the local fruit and vegie market a few doors up and then went to Colruyt which is kind of like a massive warehouse where you can buy stuff. I found certain parts of it quite amusing, particularily the many variations of mayonnaise and the copious amounts of cheese and chocolate available. They also have a huge cold storage area that was bigger than my house.

Lots and lots and lots of mayonnaise!
 
Chocolate Philadelphia
 
Niels made us dinner and then his friend Stijn came over for a drink, although I wasn't very good company because at this stage I was going on about 3 broken hours of sleep in 48hours. The boys then went out for more beers and Sarah and I went to bed.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are SO overjoyed to have you here :D And yes I admit I became a little teary while anticipating seeing you walk through the arrivals gate. For the record I wish to state that the kiwi fruit on your cake was not my fault but the forgetful baker's! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cake! How thoughtful of you both. Can imagine that Jess was probably as teary as you Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO awesome that you had 3 seats to yourself! That never happens to me. Probably because I always travel in peak holiday season. It concerns me that you don't know the difference between Dutch and French, haha. Didn't you study French?? I'm just kidding, if they were arguing they were probably talking pretty fast AND you had just been traveling for a zillion hours, so I guess you're excused. :P
    That cake looks amazingly delicious! Very awesome. Chocolate philadelphia, I have to try that!
    Sorry for my ramble of response!
    Lots of love
    Jules xx

    ReplyDelete