Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 4 in LA

Today we decided to try and take it easy due to the night before and also my incredibly painful sun burn. After waiting over an hour(!) for a bus, it finally came and we made our way to Warner Brothers Studio's for a tour. This was completely awesome and totally worth the money ($47).

Our tour guide Thom took us around the studio lots and sound stages on a large golf cart showing everything from how the streets get dressed and redressed, certain places where movies and TV shows are made, including the areas used for Gilmore Girls! We got to go onto the sound stage of The Mentalist, look at the props department, the car museum, the general WB museum (coolest one I have ever been to!) which had costumes and props from movies from Casablanca to 300, The Matrix to Where The Wild Things Are, and an entire floor devoted to the real props and costumes used in the Harry Potter movies (including the Sorting Hat, with the same voice, and you could get sorted! I was Griffindor).

Stars Hollow


Lorelai and Rory's house


The Wesley's Ford Angela from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I would have thought that seeing the Gilmore Girls scenes would have been the best part for me but the best was seeing the set of Central Perk from Friends. So awesome! some places we were allowed to take photos but others not so I don't have any pics of The Mentalist sound stage or the museum.


After the tour we realised we hadn't eaten all day (it was 5pm) so decided to go and have an early dinner at The Hard Rock Cafe on Hollywood Blvd which has only been open for 5 weeks. I haven't been to one before and it was so cool, I felt right at home. Good food, cool cocktails and awesome music! Plus I got a free glass which commemorates the opening. We then did a little souvenir shopping and made our way back to the hostel for an early night, thoroughly exhausted.

6 comments:

  1. Remember you went to a Hard Rock in Bali when you were 11. You thought it was really cool even then!Can't believe you and Christie finally got to see Stars Hollow - no busker i am thinking?!Hope you are packing up the glass and sending it home otherwise honey, you are going to get so overloaded in that suitcase and you are only 6 days in! xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! If you rewatch Friends eps you're going to see them so differently now ;) Very jealous about that and the Gilmore Girls set too. Glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: they didn't let you drive the golf buggie, right? Cause we both remember your close call many years ago....you know, that pesky tree that jumped out in front of you? =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Day 4 was awesome :) Glad it was so cool. I loved the Warner Bros tour! Very jealous of the Gilmore Girls sets, I didn't get to see them. Love that you were able to take photos of those and Central Perk too!

    You MUST go to the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC, even if it's just for a quick visit. I'm sure it's much the same as the one you went to in LA, but still. I absolutely loved it there.

    Love you and miss you!

    PS, I am very intrigued by this golf buggie story Sarah mentioned, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum, I knew when I wrote that you would bring the Bali one up but I can't remember what it was like except for a guitar sticking through the roof! At least I can appreciate it now :D

    Seh,I had a very leisurely ride on the BACK of the buggy :P

    Lindy, I plan to go into the Hard Rock in every city we go to that has one!

    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh Gilmore Girls!! Sooo jealous! I wanna go I wanna go!

    ReplyDelete